A poem by Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
Dear, damn’d distracting town, farewell!
Thy fools no more I’ll tease:
This year in peace, ye critics, dwell,
Ye harlots, sleep at ease!
Soft B– and rough C–s adieu,
Earl Warwick made your moan,
The lively H–k and you
May knock up whores alone.
To drink and droll be Rowe allow’d
Till the third watchman’s toll;
Let Jervas gratis paint, and Frowde
Save three-pence and his soul.
Farewell, Arbuthnot’s raillery
On every learned sot;
And Garth, the best good Christian he,
Although he knows it not.
Lintot, farewell! thy bard must go;
Farewell, unhappy Tonson!
Heaven gives thee for thy loss of Rowe,
Lean Philips, and fat Johnson.
Why should I stay? Both parties rage;
My vixen mistress squalls;
The wits in envious feuds engage:
And Homer (damn him!) calls.
The love of arts lies cold and dead
In Halifax’s urn:
And not one Muse of all he fed
Has yet the grace to mourn.
My friends, by turns, my friends confound,
Betray, and are betrayed:
Poor Y–r’s sold for fifty pound,
And B–ll is a jade.
Why make I friendships with the great,
When I no favour seek?
Or follow girls, seven hours in eight?
I us’d but once a week.
Still idle, with a busy air,
Deep whimsies to contrive;
The gayest valetudinaire,
Most thinking rake, alive.
Solicitous for others’ ends,
Though fond of dear repose;
Careless or drowsy with my friends,
And frolic with my foes.
Luxurious lobster-nights, farewell,
For sober, studious days!
And Burlington’s delicious meal,
For salads, tarts, and pease!
Adieu to all, but Gay alone,
Whose soul, sincere and free,
Loves all mankind, but flatters none,
And so may starve with me.
A few random poems:
Bat’s Poetry Page – more poetry by Fledermaus
Batty Writing – the bat’s idle chatter, thoughts, ideas and observations, all original, all fresh
Poems in English
- Funeral Poems – Eight Selections for Families to Consider
- Inspiration Ethics – The Value of Authenticity
- Four Creative Ideas to Make Use of Urban Real Estate
- Writing to Sell Versus Writing to Communicate
- Brief Persian History or Persian Literature
- Dwarfs Perdition (Eldritch & Eerie Poetry)
- Creativity – Imagination Needs to Play
- "I Carry Your Heart With Me," A Discussion of the Poem by E. E. Cummings
- Critique of The Soldier by Rupert Brooke, British Poet
- Double Inverse Epulaeryu Poem – Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Comparison of Two Poems on Birds
- Inspiration, Motivation and the Link to Hypnosis – Article Five
- What Makes a Person Creative Or Brilliant Vs Intelligent Or Smart?
- Writing the Flashback in Fiction
- Horse Racing in Literature
- Poetry by Thomas Kemp – Your Poet Is!
- Stimulating Your Creativity So As to Live in Peace
- Love is Not Love – In Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18, Anyway
- Jose Garcia Villa and What Poetry Is
- “Why Don’t You Come?” A Discussion of the Poem by Mihai Eminescu
More external links (open in a new tab):
Doska or the Board – write anything
Qwant – the best search engine for searches in French, German as well as Romance and Germanic languages.
Ecosia – a search engine that supposedly… plants trees
Duckduckgo – the real alternative and a search engine that actually works. Without much censorship or partisan politics.