A poem by Alec Derwent-Hope (1907–2000)
by Alec Derwent Hope
For every bird there is this last migration;
Once more the cooling year kindles her heart;
With a warm passage to the summer station
Love pricks the course in lights across the chart.
Year after year a speck on the map, divided
By a whole hemisphere, summons her to come;
Season after season, sure and safely guided,
Going away she is also coming home.
And being home, memory becomes a passion
With which she feeds her brood and straws her nest,
Aware of ghosts that haunt the heart’s possession
And exiled love mourning within the breast.
The sands are green with a mirage of valleys;
The palm tree casts a shadow not its own;
Down the long architrave of temple or palace
Blows a cool air from moorland scarps of stone.
And day by day the whisper of love grows stronger;
That delicate voice, more urgent with despair,
Custom and fear constraining her no longer,
Drives her at last on the waste leagues of air.
A vanishing speck in those inane dominions,
Single and frail, uncertain of her place,
Alone in the bright host of her companions,
Lost in the blue unfriendliness of space.
She feels it close now, the appointed season;
The invisible thread is broken as she flies;
Suddenly, without warning, without reason,
The guiding spark of instinct winks and dies.
Try as she will, the trackless world delivers
No way, the wilderness of light no sign;
Immense,complex contours of hills and rivers
Mock her small wisdom with their vast design.
The darkness rises from the eastern valleys,
And the winds buffet her with their hungry breath,
And the great earth, with neither grief nor malice,
Receives the tiny burden of her death.
A few random poems:
Bat’s Poetry Page – more poetry by Fledermaus
Batty Writing – the bat’s idle chatter, thoughts, ideas and observations, all original, all fresh
Poems in English
- Creative Sparks
- Changing With The Times: Technical Writing In The 21st Century
- Benefits of Delving Into Literature
- Publishing Poetry in Newspapers: Where to Submit
- 4 Powerful Keys of Structured Creativity
- Love Poems in Sanskrit Literature
- Great Figures and Important Periods of Poetry From 1500-1700
- Form of the Poem ‘London Snow’ by Robert Bridges
- Romanticism Verses Realism In Gustav Flaubert’s Madame Bovary
- Poems to Relieve Stress
- The Inspiration Of Youth Sports Stars
- 4 Steps To A More Productive Creative Process
- Objectivity in Technical Writing – Why It’s Important
- Literature of the Victorian Era – 4 General Characteristics of Victorian Literature
- Redress of Poetry – Can a Poet Redress Through Poetry?
- Ways to Instill Creativity in Children
- When Love Is No Longer There – A Poem
- Chaucer’s Use of Satire, Irony, and Humour
- Critical Analysis of Pedro Pietri’s Poem Ode to a Grass Hopper
- Yours & Mine poem – Alice Fulton
More external links (open in a new tab):
Doska or the Board – write anything
Qwant – the best search engine for searches in French, German as well as Romance and Germanic languages.
Ecosia – a search engine that supposedly… plants trees
Duckduckgo – the real alternative and a search engine that actually works. Without much censorship or partisan politics.