A poem by Alexander Pope (1688-1744) , the greatest English poet of “Augustan” or Georgian period
Heav’n from all creatures hides the book of fate,
All but the page prescrib’d, their present state:
From brutes what men, from men what spirits know:
Or who could suffer being here below?
The lamb thy riot dooms to bleed today,
Had he thy reason, would he skip and play?
Pleas’d to the last, he crops the flow’ry food,
And licks the hand just rais’d to shed his blood.
Oh blindness to the future! kindly giv’n,
That each may fill the circle mark’d by Heav’n:
Who sees with equal eye, as God of all,
A hero perish, or a sparrow fall,
Atoms or systems into ruin hurl’d,
And now a bubble burst, and now a world.
Hope humbly then; with trembling pinions soar;
Wait the great teacher Death; and God adore.
What future bliss, he gives not thee to know,
But gives that hope to be thy blessing now.
Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
Man never is, but always to be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin’d from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
Lo! the poor Indian, whose untutor’d mind
Sees God in clouds, or hears him in the wind;
His soul, proud science never taught to stray
Far as the solar walk, or milky way;
Yet simple nature to his hope has giv’n,
Behind the cloud topp’d hill, an humbler heav’n;
Some safer world in depth of woods embrac’d,
Some happier island in the wat’ry waste,
Where slaves once more their native land behold,
No fiends torment, no Christians thirst for gold.
To be, contents his natural desire,
He asks no angel’s wing, no seraph’s fire;
But thinks, admitted to that equal sky.
A few random poems:
Bat’s Poetry Page – more poetry by Fledermaus
Batty Writing – the bat’s idle chatter, thoughts, ideas and observations, all original, all fresh
Poems in English
- Affirmation Inspiration, Not Avoiding Perspiration
- Creative Sparks
- Changing With The Times: Technical Writing In The 21st Century
- Benefits of Delving Into Literature
- Publishing Poetry in Newspapers: Where to Submit
- 4 Powerful Keys of Structured Creativity
- Love Poems in Sanskrit Literature
- Great Figures and Important Periods of Poetry From 1500-1700
- Form of the Poem ‘London Snow’ by Robert Bridges
- Romanticism Verses Realism In Gustav Flaubert’s Madame Bovary
- Poems to Relieve Stress
- The Inspiration Of Youth Sports Stars
- 4 Steps To A More Productive Creative Process
- Objectivity in Technical Writing – Why It’s Important
- Literature of the Victorian Era – 4 General Characteristics of Victorian Literature
- Redress of Poetry – Can a Poet Redress Through Poetry?
- Ways to Instill Creativity in Children
- When Love Is No Longer There – A Poem
- Chaucer’s Use of Satire, Irony, and Humour
- Critical Analysis of Pedro Pietri’s Poem Ode to a Grass Hopper
More external links (open in a new tab):
Doska or the Board – write anything
Qwant – the best search engine for searches in French, German as well as Romance and Germanic languages.
Ecosia – a search engine that supposedly… plants trees
Duckduckgo – the real alternative and a search engine that actually works. Without much censorship or partisan politics.