A poem by Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
See what delights in sylvan scenes appear!
Descending Gods have found Elysium here.
In woods bright Venus with Adonis stray’d,
And chaste Diana haunts the forest shade.
Come lovely nymph, and bless the silent hours,
When swains from shearing seek their nightly bow’rs;
When weary reapers quit the sultry field,
And crown’d with corn, their thanks to Ceres yield.
This harmless grove no lurking viper hides,
But in my breast the serpent Love abides.
Here bees from blossoms sip the rosy dew,
But your Alexis knows no sweets but you.
Oh deign to visit our forsaken seats,
The mossy fountains, and the green retreats!
Where-e’er you walk, cool gales shall fan the glade,
Trees, where you sit, shall crowd into a shade,
Where-e’er you tread, the blushing flow’rs shall rise,
And all things flourish where you turn your eyes.
Oh! How I long with you to pass my days,
Invoke the muses, and resound your praise;
Your praise the birds shall chant in ev’ry grove,
And winds shall waft it to the pow’rs above.
But wou’d you sing, and rival Orpheus’ strain,
The wond’ring forests soon shou’d dance again,
The moving mountains hear the pow’rful call,
And headlong streams hang list’ning in their fall!
But see, the shepherds shun the noon-day heat,
The lowing herds to murm’ring brooks retreat,
To closer shades the panting flocks remove,
Ye Gods! And is there no relief for Love?
But soon the sun with milder rays descends
To the cool ocean, where his journey ends;
On me Love’s fiercer flames for every prey,
By night he scorches, as he burns by day.
A few random poems:
Bat’s Poetry Page – more poetry by Fledermaus
Batty Writing – the bat’s idle chatter, thoughts, ideas and observations, all original, all fresh
Poems in English
- Creative Sparks
- Changing With The Times: Technical Writing In The 21st Century
- Benefits of Delving Into Literature
- Publishing Poetry in Newspapers: Where to Submit
- 4 Powerful Keys of Structured Creativity
- Love Poems in Sanskrit Literature
- Great Figures and Important Periods of Poetry From 1500-1700
- Form of the Poem ‘London Snow’ by Robert Bridges
- Romanticism Verses Realism In Gustav Flaubert’s Madame Bovary
- Poems to Relieve Stress
- The Inspiration Of Youth Sports Stars
- 4 Steps To A More Productive Creative Process
- Objectivity in Technical Writing – Why It’s Important
- Literature of the Victorian Era – 4 General Characteristics of Victorian Literature
- Redress of Poetry – Can a Poet Redress Through Poetry?
- Ways to Instill Creativity in Children
- When Love Is No Longer There – A Poem
- Chaucer’s Use of Satire, Irony, and Humour
- Critical Analysis of Pedro Pietri’s Poem Ode to a Grass Hopper
- Yours & Mine poem – Alice Fulton
More external links (open in a new tab):
Doska or the Board – write anything
Qwant – the best search engine for searches in French, German as well as Romance and Germanic languages.
Ecosia – a search engine that supposedly… plants trees
Duckduckgo – the real alternative and a search engine that actually works. Without much censorship or partisan politics.